Hello friends! Are you eager for the weekend? After a couple of chilly days, the forecast is showing delightful weather this weekend. We’ve rounded up a few things you might want to do:
Saturday, Feb 27
Go for a guided hike at Big South Fork Natural River & Recreation area – there are two to choose from:
Join a Ranger on a Healthy Hike along John Litton Trail to the Fall Branch Waterfall on Saturday, February 27th at 10 am (ET). Meet the Bandy Creek trailhead (swimming pool parking lot) located on Bandy Creek Campground for an easy to moderate 4 mile hike along this beautiful trail.
Hike with a Ranger on Saturday, February 27th at 1 pm (ET). This 5 mile moderately strenuous round trip hike will take place on the Alley Ford section of Cumberland Trail. Meet at Rock Creek Campground and be sure to wear weath-er appropriate clothing and sturdy shoes. Well-behaved dogs on leashes are welcome.
Get rowdy and support our TTU basketball team against Eastern Kentucky at 7:30 pm. Check the schedule and buy tickets here.
Enjoy classical music at the Bryan Fine Arts Center by guest artists the Premru Quartet, 6:30 pm.
Now, for some goodies from the internet:
Spice up your morning with these chorizo and scrambled egg breakfast tacos.
For your viewing entertainment, young children winning at intense athletic feats.
And of course, there’s nothing wrong with just relaxing, so:
- The much anticipated Father Daughter Date Night is happening this weekend, although it is sold out. However, they may still have some tickets for Feb 26 – call Cara Sheets 520-5297.
- Stop in at Poet’s Coffee on Broad street and then carry on to the library, open 10 am – 5 pm on Saturday for some good books or videos to take home. Or, you can head downtown to the Cookeville History Museum where they are having their Star Wars Exhibit, full of vintage Star Wars collectibles. They are open from 10 am – 4 pm.
- Need to get the kids somewhere to get out their energy during spring break? Sign them up for basketball camp March 28 – April 01.
- Feel like having a refreshing workout? Head over to Synergy Yoga, they’ve got Power Yoga and Pilates on Saturday mornings.
- Want something more brisk than yoga or pilates? Sign up for a race at Cummins Falls next weekend and help raise money for our parks at the same time – 5K, half marathon, full marathon.
- If you’re itching for some work and fresh air and don’t mind the rain, volunteer to help the Cumberland Trail on Saturday at Rock Creek Campground in the Big South Fork Natural River and Recreation Area. Meet at 9 am and enjoy a day of trail work and hiking along the 2.5 mile section of Cumberland Trail between Rock Creek Campground and Alley Ford. Dress appropriately for the weather, wear sturdy shoes/boots, and bring work gloves, lunch, and plenty of water. Call 423-286-7275 for more information.
- Enjoy a full belly and good bluegrass music in Granville at the Sutton General Store – the Hamilton County Ramblers are playing this weekend.
- Some beautiful music will also be happening at the Bryan Fine Arts Center on the TTU campus as the Mastersingers perform their Mid-Winter Concert Sunday at 3:00 pm. Tickets are $10.
The forecast is showing chilly but sunny this weekend. Wondering what there is to do besides traditional Valentine’s Day activities? Here are some events going on around town – do make sure you check that an event is still happening (because of weather interruptions) before you head out; it’s so unpredictable sometimes! Without further ado:
Saturday, Feb 13
Westside Scavenger Hunt, 10 am – 2 pm, meet at Cookeville Depot
Dog Sees God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead – 8 pm at CPAC (Cookeville Performing Arts Center), $15 admission
Try an Insanity or Zumba class at the Cane Creek Rec Center, only $3 a class!
Get out and about for an easy hike at Big South Fork as part of their Centennial Challenge:
- Get Started on the Centennial Challenge and Hike with a Ranger along Middle Creek Loop Trail on Saturday, February 13th at 10 am (ET). Meet at the trailhead located on Divide Road for an easy to moderate 3.5-mile hike. The southern entrance to Divide Road is accessible from TN Hwy 154 just south of the Pickett State Park Boundary. Wear weather appropriate clothing. Hikers are encouraged to bring well-behaved dogs, however leashes are required.
- Bandy Creek Visitor Center (423) 286-7275 or visit us at: www.nps.gov/biso Twitter@BigSouthForkNRR www.facebook.com/BigSouthForkNRRA
Or head on out to the Sutton General Store in Granville, TN for some good, ol’ fashioned southern supper and a show featuring the band, Valley Grass. Dinner starts at 6 pm.
And, last but not least – if you fancy a jaunt out to our neighbor Jackson County for some more good ol’ timey fun, check out Nate Dodson and the Newlyweds at The Little Opry in Gainesboro – 1625 Seven Knobs Rd. Admission is free, show starts at 6:30 pm!
Whether you go out or stay in, enjoy yourself and have a grand time. Cheers from everyone at Roland!
Oh, and Happy Valentine’s Day 🙂